Friday, May 16, 2008

Jean Quilt/ Summer Job

So I decided about 3 months ago that I wanted to make a jean quilt... so I cut up all of the worn out pants that Jacob and I have and put them in a drawer... Then I went visiting teaching a few weeks later and mentioned I was making a jean blanket and the girl I was visiting went into her office and pulled out a stack of jean squares that were extra from her jean quilt so she gave them to me... but I still did not have enough so they went into the drawer too. I still don't have enough, but yesterday I sewed what I do have with my mother-in-law's amazing serger. She bought it a year ago and has not used it yet, so I was the one that got to figure it out, but it did not take that long and the back of the quilt is just beautiful and it was so fast! I got this whole square (it barely covers our queen size bed) done in less than 4 hours. All I have to do now is find a king size sheet for the back, some fabric for a border around the edge to make it big enough and sew the rest of it together. The dark blue border on the pic is actually some valances that Cheryl (my mother in law) bought for Jacob's room to decorate it just before his mission, but it never got put up. I was thinking about using that for the edging, but it just would not be very comfortable with all those buttons, but I thought it would make some really cute throw pillows. Any suggestions?


For all of you who are interested, I finally found a job (at a daycare)... I went in today to "observe" and hopefully today was really just a random day because they were all so wild and did not listen to the teachers... Boy am I in for a treat this summer! They are talking about splitting the kids up into two classes of 15 max, but right now there is about 30 kids in there (4 year olds). They also have a dress code, so I had to go shopping for khaki pants... I hate shopping for pants. So I went to the Fiesta Mall and started at Sears with no luck. I was getting tired so I walked to the food court and bought myself a strawberry smoothie (don't tell) and then decided to try the Dillards clearance racks and I actually found a couple of pairs fairly quickly (only tried on 6 and liked 3 of them) and they were only $20 each so I bought two of them and then as I was walking out to go home I decided to get my make-up done, since I don't spend time on it myself. It was quite fun. Too bad I can't go in every day to get it done, then I would actually wear a little bit of makeup! Anyway, that's all of my fun stories for now. Love you all!!

1 comment:

Shelane said...

Do I have some denim for you!!!!! I have a whole diaper box full of jeans, plus a 6" stack of squares, PLUS a big pile of jeans in the shop that shelly brought over. I was planning on making a huge round quilt for picnics and camping, but when am I ever going to get around to it? Never. Is July too late to bring them down to you?
Oh, Becca is heading down to snowflake this weekend. Do you want me to send them down with her? How much do you want?